Google book links to history-biography articles written by Lynn Tew Sprague with illustrative drawings by Stanley M. Arthur, from Outing Magazine 1905-1908.
"Outing was a late-nineteenth and early twentieth-century magazine covering a variety of sporting activities" as well as adventure, travel, fiction, and historical topics -
John Paul Jones - The Man. Outing. 46: 707-12. S. '05.
Old Put [Israel Putnam] A Hero of The People Outing. 47:343-7. D. '05.
General Francis Marion. The Knight of The Revolution, Outing. 47: 402-9. Ja. '06.
(General) Mad Anthony Wayne. Outing. 47: 761-6. Mi. '06.
General Daniel Morgan. The Hero of Cowpens, Outing. 48: 228-34. My. '06.
General Henry Lee. Outing. 48: 478-86. Jl. '06.
General Harrison, the Hero of Tippecanoe. Outing. 48: 731-7. S. '06.
Old Hickory and his Indian campaigns. Outing. 49: 223-31. N. '06.
George Rogers Clark and his Conquest of the Middle West. Outing. 49: 474-81. Ja. '07.
Osceola, chief of the Seminoles. Outing. 49: 644-52. F. '07.
Conspiracy of Pontiac. Outing. 50: 27-35. Ap. '07.
Simon Kenton, scalp hunter. Outing. 50: 285-292. Je. '07.
Planting of a nation.[Jamestown] Outing. 50: 399-406. Jl. 07
General James Robertson, the Father of Tennessee. Outing. 50: 606-13. Ag. '07.
General Isaac Shelby. Outing. 51: 73-82. O. '07.
Nolichucky Jack. Outing. 52: 97-103. Ap. '08.
Terror of the Tories. Colonel Benjamin Cleavland Old Roundabout, Outing. 53:59-67. O. '08.
also available in pdf format by searching at
LA84 Foundation - "increase knowledge of sport" " - Digital Archives
I have not been able to find a mini-biography of Lynn Tew Sprague (1855-1929). He was a 1880 graduate of the University of Michigan, LL.B. and an Attorney in Jamestown NY in 1911. He was living at 2400 Dwight Way. Berkeley, Cal in 1923, according to the Catalogue of graduates, non-graduates, officers, and members of University of Michigan, by Harley Le Roy Sensemann - 1923 and he died 3 Oct 1929 at Oakland California aged 74 (University of Michigan. Alumni Association - 1930). He was a prolific writer and sometimes poet, on a wide variety of outdoor topics, including hunting, fishing, birds, wildlife (Do Animals Think?), and other naturist topics, for Outing, Overland monthly and Out West magazine, , Recreation, Bird-Lore, and Forest and Stream among others (Lynn Tew Sprague, "Ethics and the Sportsman," Forest and Stream 58 (June 21,1902))
Overland Monthly description: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overland_Monthly
- ▼ Aug (2)
- ► 2011 (11)
- ► 2012 (20)
View my complete profile
- 18th Century Historical Trekking,1680-1760 (Australia)
- All Points West
- American Military and Naval History (blog)
- American Wars 101
- Army Historical Foundation - Virtual Library
- Blue Gray Daily
- British Battles
- Cavalry, Dragoons and Light Dragoons
- Civil War Picket
- Flintlock and tomahawk
- French and Indian Blog
- From Matchlock to Dog Lock
- Frontier Battles
- Frontier Partisans
- Google News Archive
- History of the First Dragoons - Dragoons out West blog
- HNN - Military Links
- Holstonia - pre-1850 history of Southwest Virginia
- Illinois Rangers
- John T Reed - Military and Football Articles
- Kenneth Roberts - The Unoffical Site
- Kepler's Military History Book Reviews
- Kings of War
- Korean Buffalo - 17th Inf Rgt - Don Shook
- Long War Journal
- Military History and Warfare
- Military History Blog
- Military History Online
- Muzzleloader/Scurlock Publishing
- NPS - Civil War
- NPS - Colonials and Patriots
- NPS - Explorers and Settlers
- NPS - Founders and Frontiersmen
- NPS - Historical Handbooks
- NPS - Historical Themes
- NPS - History
- NPS - Interpretive and Source Book Series
- NPS - Park Histories
- NPS - Research and Education
- NPS - Soldier and Brave
- NPS - Weapons and Equipment of Early American Soldiers
- Osprey Publishing Blog
- Past in the Present
- Rantings of a Civil War Historian
- Settlement of the Appalachian Frontier
- Small Wars Journal
- SOUTHERN CAMPAIGN ~ REV WAR- John Robertson
- The Commonplace Book - Notes and images from the Old Northwest of past and present.
- The United States Rifle Regiment Of The War Of 1812 - Tuesday, January 06, 2009
- Thoughts, Essays, and Musings on the Civil War
- U.S. Army Center of Military History
- Utah Digital Newspapers
- War and Game - American Army
- War of 1812 Bicentennial Blog
- War of 1812 Chronicles
- Warfare in the Age of Steam 1815-1918
- Woodsrunner's Diary
- Wulff's Rangers